director data base problems

Jennifer Hall jennifer at jennifershall.com
Tue Jul 4 19:37:30 CDT 2006

I'm trying to execute the following code in director

  pCursor = xtra("VCursor").new(pCurrentDataBase.getRef(), sql,2,3,2)

if I open this database (pCurrentDataBase)immediately before this, it works
fine. however, if the database is opened from a previous command and is
still open, the getRef command works fine, but the xtra("VCursor").new
returns a large negative number.
I thought you could leave the data base open until you didn't need it any
more.  what am I doing wrong or what do you suggest.

thanks
jennfier