[V4MD] please read ALL: unicode, flash?

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sun Jan 22 22:40:01 CST 2006

On 1/22/06 9:44 PM, "Tschoatscho Kettl" <ich at medienzar.de> wrote:

Hi Tschoatscho,

> (2)Unicode:
> First of all: this is not a Valentina problem but much more a
> Director problem.

> Just wondered how it would be possible to serve Valentina2 's UTF16
> field values to Director.

Good question!

> I know about several developers who use
> embedded Flash members and XML to deal with Unicode.

Yes I also have hear about this.

Also I have hear about some JavaScript in Director MX (?).
And was not yet time discover if any V4MD use JS and need JS.
What benefits of JS. And if V4MD2 can be used with JS right now?
I.e. Does director self is able use our Xtras with Lingo and JS in the same
time ?

> However, this is
> very difficult to handle and in many cases they get unpredictable
> results whenever Director is involved. I don't know how Director
> treats strings "underneath the Lingo surface" but it would be great
> to find a solution for that.

This give me just char*
This is not enough to work with unicode strings.

Although, nope. I can also know length of string.
But I doubt you can write Unicode string in Lingo itself.

> Maybe Adobe is already planning to  improve Director for Unicode support but
> until now the only way to  deal with it is Flash. It would be great to have
> kind of a "Unicode  bridge" between the Valentina Xtra and embedded Flash
> assets.

> I'm not
> an expert with text encoding and dependencies between encoding and
> fonts. I just see that there is Unicode support in Valentina, Unicode
> support in embedded Flash assets, embedded Fonts in Director and,
> between all of that, Director's poor string handling which separates
> them from each other. I also don't know whether a practical solution
> would be to invent a new stringWithEncoding dataType to director or
> to temporarily save results as XML files for Flash to load (which way
> back then from Flash to Director?).

Well, I also do not have ideas about this.
May be other V4MD developers will throw some ideas ?

> As you see I have no specific suggestion for that but only phantasies
> and dreams. I just wanted to draw your attention upon that item ;-)

Just only yesterday I have told:

    I dream about Director-developer-dreamer!