SQL crashes based on temporary method.

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sun Jan 22 18:00:23 CST 2006

Hi Jon,

> OK, that's definitely a problem...
>
> There seems to be some dependency of fields on each other, and of the
> cursor on the sort method.
>
> If I dispose of a temporary method field *after* the cursor has been
> created but *before* using the cursor, attempts to manipulate the
> cursor -> crash.

OF COURSE !!!!

Cursor in most cases use underlined table to do work.
Only CLIENT cursor create COPY of result records.

> If I use the cursor and *after* drop the fields -> no crash.
>
> So, for some reason the cursor is trying to access the sort method
> after it is created...

Because this is how it works.

You have discover interesting dependency which should be documented.

> (FYI, I want to destroy the temporary fields as soon as I can,
> because if there is a crash working with the database they won't be
> dropped and the database will be ruined).

I see.

Interesting...may be we should add such feature as:
        Temporary Field of Table?

Like we have Temporary Table of database?
Ivan what you think about this?

Deal is that Temporary object is NOT stored into system tables,
So crash do not affect database schema.

Jon, add this as feature request I think...
May be we should be able do TMP only methods?
Probably yes. Lets start with Tmp Methods only!