Network Version of Valentina

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sat Feb 11 00:40:42 CST 2006

On 2/11/06 12:10 AM, "Don Toro" <don at thinkingpublications.com> wrote:

Hi Don,

> OK, I don't think I'm explaining this right.

> Data in original Valentina 1 DB
> Words Table
> RecID     Word
> 1         word1
> 22        word1
> 34        word3
> 56        word4
> 71        word5

So records 2 .. 21 are deleted, right ?

> Data in new Valentina 2 DB after coversion
> Words Table
> RecID     Word
> 1         word1
> 2         word1
> 3         word3
> 4         word4
> 5         word5

RIGHT

> Exported Data for the WordsScore table of V1 database
> RecID,Score
> 1,25
> 22,100
> 56,34
> 71,0

QUESTION:
    * do you mean that you have distribute already your application?
    * do you mean that you have many users already that have 1.x dbs ?

> The Words table is not going to change after the database is delivered to the
> end user.

Do you believe in this? What about vers 2 of YOUR application?

And IF table Words is not going to change, then why it have this wholes?

It looks like you preapre some database with information to be distributed
to people. Then it is bad idea to have wholes and other empty spaces.

Such PREPARED database, should get good massage before deployment:
    1) Clone it -- to remove wholes
    2) reindex it
    3) Compact it
    4) defragment it

These steps will make db smaller and faster.

> Let's say we have a table named WordsScore. This table has two colums one is a
> link to the RecID of the Word table and the other field has the score for that
> word. So lets say that I export the data from the WordsScore table in V1
> database.

THIS step is not very clear to me.

> Importing this data in the WordsScore table of V2 database would have an
> incorrect RecID.

And this also.

> I cannot link by the Word field in the Words table because we can have
> duplicate words with different RecIDs.

WHY somebody will EXPORT from db 1.x and then import into 2.x database.

This is assumes to be the same user?
So he have 2 versions of your app on computer?

If you think about HOW TO convert users 1.x dbs then simply use
Convert_1_2() function.

------
IF you think about more complex of data exchange between users, then you
need use not just export into text file, but .... Right! XML.

XML allow you export LINKED records, and later parse them and put into
related tables correctly. We use this technique for years in XML load/dump.