Encodings Trouble

Beatrix Willius bwillius at gmx.de
Mon Dec 18 13:15:44 CST 2006

More information:

It seems that Valentina it doing something to my data. I have made
some screenshots of the data.

1. The data that is saved into the database. If the encoding is
changed to MacRomanLatin and then to UTF8 everything is okay: http://
www.mothsoftware.com/download/datain.jpg

2. The data that is coming out of the database: http://
www.mothsoftware.com/download/dataout.jpg

3. The data with the encoding changed to nil: http://
www.mothsoftware.com/download/dataoutenc.jpg

System: Mac OS 10.4.7 on a G5 with Valentina 2.5 and Realbasic 2006R4.

PS: I'm on digest. An updated archive would be appreciated.

Anfang der weitergeleiteten E-Mail:

> Von: Beatrix Willius <bwillius at gmx.de>
> Datum: 17. Dezember 2006 19:07:35 MEZ
> An: valentina at lists.macserve.net
> Betreff: Encodings Trouble
>
> While I'm used to having encoding problems the following one has be
> stumped: Because the encoding of mail data is in the data itself
> and needs to be parsed, I first write the data into the database
> and do the parsing later. After updating to Valentina 2.4 this
> doesn't seem to work 100%. Some mails don't get parsed correctly.
>
>  The data is written to the database:
>
> theCursor.Field("MessageBody").SetString
> (currentMailFields.MessageBody)
>
> I get the data out of the database:
>
> dim theBody as String = theCursor.field("MessageBody").GetString
>
> At this point I see the UTF8 question marks in a square. I do some
> parsing and then define the encoding
>
>   'we have a Content Type
>   if instr(ContentType, "iso-8859-1") > 0 then
>     'changed from isolatin 1, which didn't work 100%
>     currentBody = defineEncoding(currentBody,
> Encodings.MacRomanLatin1)
>   elseif instr(ContentType, "iso-8859-2") > 0 then
>     currentBody = defineEncoding(currentBody, Encodings.IsoLatin2)
>
> The result are fly droppings instead of nice umlauts. The same code
> works for Valentina 1. What am I doing wrong???

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Regards

Trixi Willius

http://www.mothsoftware.com
Mail Archiver X: archive, clean and search email
http://www.beatrixwillius.de
Fractals, 3d landscapes etc.