LocaleName (Rephrase)

Joakim Schramm joakim at astrocalc.com
Wed Dec 13 12:22:48 CST 2006

> > All I/O controls in my app is full Unicode aware. Will the
> locale set
> > in Valentina affect how this is displayed?
>
> NO

Ok Good!

> > I ask because in Vstudio this isn't the case always, but
> maybe Vstudio
> > controls isn't Unicode?
>
> They are as I know.

Hmm, I have in db Czech chars and previously all displayed correct but now
at least 1 is not correct but maybe more. It's many records so I havent
checked all. I know this has display correct in my app before but I see now
when testing it doesn't anymore, so some way this storage have changed. It
is possible though due to all the problems I had before with some bugs in
VCOM has effected it and it has got lost in clone or Dump/LoadDump. I have
to redo the whole process of populating this db or maybe if I can change
manually as it was very tricky to populate it.

So probably your controls can be Unicode after all :-)

> > When populate data into database I have changed my
> computers setting
> > to resamble that country, I have then read the data in by code from
> > unicode files with correct spelling. So is this "preserved" inside
> > Valentina dispite change of locale? Or locale has nothing
> to do with
> > this how characters are displayed when UTF-16?
>
> Locale affect mainly Collator/Converter issues. I.e. How
> records are indexed.
>
> Storage of chars is in UTF16

Ok maybe I don't have to change locale at all then, or what is good practice
with this - check which locale computer use and set accordingling? If it
affect indexing (includes sorting I belive?) and similar just this may be a
good thing or searches may not resturn expected results?

/Joakim