Encryption advice

Joakim Schramm joakim at astrocalc.com
Mon Dec 11 11:00:01 CST 2006

> > Structure: How hard inpact on performance?
>
> My estimation is:
>     full encryption of database gives about 2-3% performance.

You mean 2-3% performance loss, I assume? That's not bad at all, hardly
notable I would say, at least in a local connection were you have no
transfer over network.

> > If I do what I think maybe is best, encrypt just 1 field,
> is it then
> > impossible to see which records in other tables that link
> to encrypted
> > field?
>
> You link with ObjectPtr?

I have both binary and ObjectPtr, in fact in one case I have both a
BinaryLink and ObjectPtr between 2 same tables, why? I think Binary is
faster, right? But with binary link you can not search easy for 1 record and
get RecID back, but with ObjectPtr you can do this.

> Better try self look into your data by HexEdit to see how it
> is easy :-)

Well I don't have any Hexditor installed as I normally don't have such need
:-)

> > When open is encrypted data then visible in memory?
>
> Yes, for pages which are in cache

It make sense ;-) but is it easy to see how fileds and tables relate
together? Not without lots of work right?

And thanks for answering my questions,

Joakim