Encryption advice

Joakim Schramm joakim at astrocalc.com
Sun Dec 10 19:06:42 CST 2006

Ok I would need some advice regarding encryption. As I have to change my
strategy somewhat I do need to encrypt at least part of my database. I see 3
sceenarios possible,

Encrypt structure, 1 table or 1 field in table and my questions is this.

Structure: How hard inpact on performance?

What "whole" does it leave, I mean what does it not protect, like does is
leave all data visible if looked at with a Hex Editor? If so, is it easy to
see links between data?

Table or  Field (from same table):

Does Field give much better perfomace then encrypting just Structure?

Big difference between table or just 1 field?

If I do what I think maybe is best, encrypt just 1 field, is it then
impossible to see which records in other tables that link to encrypted
field?

This table has about 250 000 records, I guess that impact performance when
run or is it just when open?

Another table have just 300 records, is differense small in performace if
encrypt whole table or just field?

When open is encrypted data then visible in memory?

And last, you can handle this "quite" in code so no need to pop up dialog
for key to user, just feel key from code so it's invisible to user.

Yes I have read docs but it don't answer these questions. I know many
questions but I don't need long answers. I ask because I am late for
christmas :-) and don't have much time testing everything, I have so much
problems already with dumps and ObjectPtr but it's fixed now and also Path
now works fine, so this it last thing.

Thanks,

Joakim