Another dump question

Joakim Schramm joakim at astrocalc.com
Thu Dec 7 18:47:09 CST 2006

> > Ok and it will then replace structure as well as all content of the
> > database, or I need to empty it first... Well I will see of course.
>
> LOAD of db dump must be done into TOTALLY EMPTY database.

Ok so what you say contradict with Ivan... And I guess you are "top dog" ;-)
so to load a dump recreating an existing database (like restoring a backup
taken as dump) correct way is:

db.Close()
db.ThrowOut()
Db.LoadDump ?

Is there any gain in this instead of just kill (delete) dbfiles, after close
and do

Set db = New Vdatabase, and then LoadDump ? The above looks like an elegant
way though, not having to destroy the db object, just re-init and set
tbl/fld referenses - which need to be redone anyway after a db.close

> Anything else can give unpredicted results

What about Loading a dumped VTable into an existing db? As the methode is
there and you have an example for it, it must be a doable way to e.g.
introduce a new table in an old db? Or simply replace an existing one, with
fresh updated data like if you have a table which is r/o but there might be
reasons to refresh/update the data?

I have kinda just "found" this with dumps and realize it can't be used
everywere, but were it can it's a feasable way to pack and deliver data e.g.
in an installation, instead of storing code in executable that most likely
just will be used once, and for backup's of course.

It's a pitty though that the SQL Dump is broken, as it's both faster and
compress better in an archive. It's kinda fantastice, my big db when dumped
to sql comes out as almost 200Mb, but packed with 7z it's just 4Mb, as vdb
it's now down to 38 after I cloned it with new kernel.

/Joakim