V4RB2 Alter Table Question

Claudius Sailer Claudius at sailer-online.de
Thu Aug 31 17:39:26 CDT 2006

Am 31.08.2006 um 16:50 schrieb Ruslan Zasukhin:

> On 8/31/06 4:54 PM, "Ivan Smahin" <ivan_smahin at valentina-db.com>
> wrote:
>
>>> Screenshot from viSQL and database for testing
>>
>> Yes, I see.
>
>> The source of "problem" is filled table.
>
>> You  can  not add not-nullable field or field without default
>> value to
>> filled table.
>
>> Simple  reason  -  what  values do you expect to see in that field
>> for
>> existing records?
>
> Aha.
>
> Ivan, other dbs like MSSQL, Sybase do the same thing ?
>
> May be it needs improve error message ?
> E.g.
>

>     you cannot add new NOT NULL column without DEFAULT value
>     into that table have records

Thats qould be okay. But I would expect that I can say fill all
records with value X. But default means that always when I fill
records in table a default value is set and not an error message
"Sorry you have to fill tablefile XXX"

Default is in my case something special.

bye

Claudius

--
iMac CD 2GHz / MacOS X 10.4de / RB 2006r3/ Valentina 2.4.1
Homepage    http://www.ClaSai.de