[V4RB] Macho VComponents folder is 22mb???

Shaun Wexler dev at macfoh.com
Fri Aug 25 04:02:11 CDT 2006

On Aug 25, 2006, at 3:21 AM, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> On 8/25/06 12:41 PM, "Shaun Wexler" <dev at macfoh.com> wrote:
>
>>       The goal is to maintain compatibility with existing public
>> API, where future API can be added in the form of new (or newly-
>> exposed) functions, but future revisions do not change the
>> fundamental
>> behavior of existing/previous API, and maintain binary compatibility.
>
> So Interfaces must be the same in A and B. Hmm.
>
> What todo if we need add new methods or change existing ?

No!  Compatibility versions can have COMPLETELY different APIs.  The
design goal for ANY software should be to NOT change existing API,
only add new API, and/or change the existing API behavior in a
backwards-compatible manner.  If anything is changed that breaks this
binary compatibility, then a new framework version is required, and
any apps will only use the framework versions against which they were
compiled.  Both can coexist peacefully.  Apple's problem with its Mac
OS X versions (10.3, 10.4, 10.5) is that they don't include previous
versions in their frameworks, and of course this causes EVERYONE to
have to upgrade their apps as well... but that's good business for
developers, right?  ;)

--
Shaun Wexler
MacFOH

"Society often forgives the criminal; it never forgives the dreamer."
- Oscar Wilde