[V4RB] Macho VComponents folder is 22mb???

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Aug 25 01:57:04 CDT 2006

On 8/25/06 1:33 AM, "Shaun Wexler" <dev at macfoh.com> wrote:

>> We have quite good 2.4.1 and upcoming 2.4.2 to freeze them
>> On site for developers that want 10.3 support.
>>
>> And I vote for 2.5 to be 10.4 only, Universal, without ICU in
>> VComponents
>> :-)
>
> The logical step is to have one universal "Valentina.framework" stored
> in /Library/Frameworks, to which all app's can link.

How this differ from /usr/local/VComponents ?

-----
> I can write some code for applications to download/embed/install their
> minimum version of Valentina.framework, and install a newer version
> into the system if necessary.

Sounds interesting. But not all developers/apps can rely on online
connection.

> Originally this was the behavioral intent of Contents/Shared Frameworks, but
> it was determined to be a security risk.

> With some creative dyld code, it's not exceedingly  difficult.  I would rather
> provide a consistent user interface,  wrapped in the form of a plug-in bundle
> that app's could drop-in, and  allow embedding an Installer package dmg, etc.

---------
What scary me in this design: is versions of frameworks or dlls.

Yes I know that frameworks can contain few versions.
But then we again go in trap of big size?

Valentina is in active development, we produce versions not so often like
this was in 1.x but still quite often.

* For example, how you image shipping of 2.4.1 and 2.4.2 in such design?

* How will co-exist on the same computer 2 apps:
    one made with V4RB 2.4
    another with V4REV 2.4.2   ?

Apple's OS X 10.4 was about 10Gb on HDD if I not mistake.

10.5 as we see, is going to be 4 times bigger? Because each dll and each
framework should go in ppc32, ppc64, x8632, x8664 ?

I wonder if 10.4 is shipped already on few DVDs? :-)

All this sizes somehow sounds shocking ...