[V4RB] Macho VComponents folder is 22mb???

Dave Addey listmail1 at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Aug 24 21:09:52 CDT 2006

Hi all,

There have been some discussions on the various REALbasic lists recently
about ways of reducing the size of built Xcode Mach-O dylibs for use in .rbx
plugins.  Does the Valentina Mach-O plugin take advantage of these tricks?
When I tried these tricks with my own Mach-O plugins, it made a huge
difference to the size of the dylib file.

Here's the tips:

Turn on dead-code-stripping for the plugin dylib, and use a custom exports
file for the plugin dylib - basically, a text file with just the following
line in it:

_REALPluginMain

...and be sure to strip out all debugging symbols for all dylibs when
building in Xcode.

As I say, this made my plugin much smaller!

As for the Vcomponents, are they also being stripped of un-needed symbols
etc.?  It all helps :-)  I can provide an Xcode template with these settings
included, if it helps.

All the best,

Dave.