Do I need to lock a table during a FLUSH when using VSDK C++ API in multi-threaded app?

Matthew Jew mjew at icnc.com
Wed Aug 16 03:24:34 CDT 2006

On Aug 16, 2006, at 3:16 AM, Ivan Smahin wrote:

> Hello Matthew,
>
> Wednesday, August 16, 2006, 1:06:55 PM, you wrote:
>
>> My understanding was that there was some support for multiple threads
>> in version 2 of Valentina. If not, what is the point of record
>> locking?
>
> Record  locking prevent to get access to locked records using
> different
> cursors.
>
>> What exactly has changed from version 1 to version 2 of VSDK related
>> to multi-thread support? Anything? Version 1 required me to lock the
>> entire Valentina engine, so that only one thread at a time could do
>> a Valentina call. Has this changed in version 2 or not? It was my
>> understanding
>> that it had. What is the story?
>
> This  task (and transactions) is still in process. Where have you read
> about multithreading in V2?

I guess I figured there must be some sort of multithreading support
since there
was support for record locking for multiple cursors. Is the record
locking
for multiple cursors only intended for single thread support?
Why would you have multiple active cursors with a single thread?

So is it still true that I must have a global lock/semaphore to
control access
to the entire Valentina engine? (So that only one thread at a time
can make
any calls to Valentina?)

- Matthew