Do I need to lock a table during a FLUSH when using VSDK C++ API in multi-threaded app?

Matthew Jew mjew at icnc.com
Tue Aug 15 14:42:43 CDT 2006

Hello,

I am using the VSDK 2 C++ in a multi-threaded application on a
Macintosh.

I normally use the API way to work with the database tables, so I
make sure
that I use semaphores/locks on each individual table whenever I
either read, modify, or add records.

My question is this:
If I do a flush() on a database, do I need to lock the tables
contained in that database
to prevent other threads from potentially attempting to read, modify,
or add records at the same time?
Or is the flush() operation implemented so that it does not interfere
with other threads
potentially accessing the tables contained in the database being
flushed?

What are the rules about locking tables for exclusive access now that
Valentina 2 now
is more thread-friendly?

- Matthew