Collection Object

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Thu Aug 3 19:33:46 CDT 2006

On 8/3/06 1:02 PM, "Philip Mötteli" <philip.moetteli at econophone.ch> wrote:

>> Let me again give point why I think inheritance the most correct way.
>> it should be NOT only static storage of data.
>
> Well, I actually prefer having nothing dynamic on the DBMS side.
> Dynamic things should be handled on the dynamic side.

Then why exists STORED PROCEDURES in adult DBMS ?

> It's a question of dynamic redundancy and also compatibility.
> I prefer having a small server program with DO, wrapping the DBMS,
> than putting anything dynamic into the DBMS.

I see. You have right todo that and not use special features of DBMS.
Right?

Our point of view is -- the more clever is engine - the more cool things can
do app around it and with smaller efforts.

Also important is advantage that have stored procedures: "business logic" is
stored in DBMS level, but not in C++ / ObjC /NET code. This is really big
advantage, because otherwise may happens that you need duplicate logic in
few languages of access

>> Valentina engine internally create for each table C++ instances of  Vtable.
>> When they will have internal mechanism of inheritance, they also  should be
>> able do some kinds of CAST and ala-virtual calls of methods.

> The only useful thing, table-wise inheritance could bring me, would
> be the reduced redundancy of IVars/fields combinations. I mean, every
> subclass actually copies its super-classes IVars in its table
> representation.

You mean this is as NOW you design it ?

> But because I use the NSCoding protocol in order to serialize my  objects, I
> almost can't distinguish, if an IVar comes from a  superclass or not.

IMPORTANT POINT is

If you split N records into M tables, then you get M indexes.

Question what solution will do faster search?
    1 index with N records
    M indexes with total N records.

Easy calculation show that 1 index wins.

>> Just up to know I always have think in C++ terms...
>>
>> You have show that exists more flexible way send messages and wait
>> who will answer...
>
> We would also have aspect oriented message dispatching. But again, I
> don't think this would change a lot here for our collection problem.

May be. Lets do step by step.