2.4 Addrecord() speed

Russ Tyndall fitzbew at nc.rr.com
Tue Aug 1 14:20:40 CDT 2006

Created a new thread.

On 8/1/06 1:55 PM, "Ruslan Zasukhin" <sunshine at public.kherson.ua> wrote:

>> So far, vServer 2.4 is working ok for me, but I'm having a drastic slow down
>> when using rst.Addrecord() in a loop.  2.3 was adding 250+ records in 1.3
>> secs, 2.4 is requiring 50+ seconds!  So there is some issue there, at least
>> for me.
>
> Please check that in this loop you do not do any
>
>   db.Table("xxx") calls
>
> This method force sending from server to client structure of this table.

No, this process that is suddenly taking longer is designed something like
this:

****

rstForAddModify = db.SQLSelect(strForQuery, _
EVCursorLocation.kServerSide, _
EVLockType.kReadWrite, _
EVCursorDirection.kRandom _
)

For intcounter = 1 to 250 Step 1

RstForAddModify.SetBlank()

Rstforaddmodify.stringfield("foo").value = "xxxx"
Rstforaddmodify.booleanfield("xx").value = False
.
.
 and so on, with many field types.

intReturnCode = rstForAddModify.AddRecord()

Next

Db.flush()
RstForAddModify = Nil

****

I've noticed one other thing during testing:  The process completes faster
on *truly* remote machines than it does on a client that is on the *same*
machine as vServer.  Regardless of the location of the client, the process
is still slower than 2.3, though.

On my remote x.2.8 (800mhz G4) machine it takes 30 secs, on a remote XP
machine (celeron 2.1ghz) 3 secs, but on my vServer machine(DP 800mhz G4) it
takes 50 secs.  This is on a 4 computer LAN behind a router which is behind
a broadband modem.

--
Russ Tyndall
Wake Forest, NC