Table structure?

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sat Apr 29 22:30:23 CDT 2006

On 4/29/06 9:56 PM, "Joakim Schramm" <joakim at astrocalc.com> wrote:

Hi Joakim,

> I must do something wrong, import of data crashes after about 80% with
> automation error, it's on AddRecord call. Also, the data which I read from
> text files occupy 11Mb on disc, but on scrash the db .dat file is 333Mb!

How much it is compressed in RAR?
I expect not big, yes?

So if needed you can send to us this file and VB project to test here..

> I expet this to be more then the text files, as when imoprting to my old db
> it takes 46Mb - 333 sounds rediculus much and the import isn't even ready!

Show please your table structure.
May be you use String[N] fields?

Also what size of EMPTY Valentina db, after you create your tables?

> Ok, this is no complain, I realize something must be wrong with my code. I
> was able to open the db in Vstudio and noticed that nothing had gone inte to
> my zone table and probably I assign value to DateTime field wrongly
> (Table.Field("DateTime").SetString "1999/10/04 13:23:00") but I couldn't
> find anywere in the docs about how to format the string to add to this
> field.

1) I believe exists API function to set numeric values into DateTime fields.

2) Format in the string can be controlled by YOU with help db.DateTimeformat

> Does VarChar fields affect size depending on maxsize aka 1022, if only 3 or
> 4 charcters is stored in field?

No,

On disk should be used 3-4 bytes PLUS at ULONG.

Note, for such small strings ( <= 8 bytes) it can be more effective to use
String[4]