Table structure?

Joakim Schramm joakim at astrocalc.com
Sat Apr 29 00:51:54 CDT 2006

> Note, that in Valentina's way with ObjectPtr and BinaryLinks
>
> You can allow self to be lazy and DO NOT care about KEYs in tables.
> You already have RecID for each table.

I am still a bit confused about this. From example below of linking records

Private Sub LinkRecords()

  Dim mLink As VLink
  Dim recs(1) As Variant

  ' get link object by name
  Set mLink = mDatabase.Link("link_person_phone")

  'in this method assign values to ObjectPtr field to link records
  ' of 2 tables in this way:
  ' 1 - 1
  ' 1 - 3
  ' 2 - 4
  ' 3 - 2

  ' 1 - 1
  recs(0) = 1
  recs(1) = 1
  mLink.LinkRecords (recs)

  ' 1 - 3
  recs(0) = 1
  recs(1) = 3
  mLink.LinkRecords (recs)

  ' 2 - 4
  recs(0) = 2
  recs(1) = 4
  mLink.LinkRecords (recs)

  ' 3 - 2
  recs(0) = 3
  recs(1) = 2
  mLink.LinkRecords (recs)

End Sub

Here we from human conception which number belong to which person, but
computer don't have that conception.

Isn't it that each record or pair of records need to be linked right after
they are added or we don't know relation if first filling one table then
next etc.? I am here talking about I am going to read lots of data from
other source, from 3 "tables". So I must either link while they are in
"memory" or I need to store a temp pointer in memory bank (e.g. array) for
later use - is this correct?

As data comes from 3 sources interacting with each other I can't just do it
all at one time as one depends on the other and the third depends on the
first... Must be that way, right?

Joakim