Trimming the icudt30 file

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Apr 28 23:19:31 CDT 2006

On 4/28/06 9:31 PM, "Brendan Murphy" <bmurf at comcast.net> wrote:

Hi Brendan,

> In the Valentina Kernal manual it states on page 19...
>
>> Also part of ICU is file icudt30l.dat. It is on default is quite
>> big (about 8 MB). This file contains information about all Locales
>> of the world. It is possible to reduce this file to 3.5 MB if to
>> remove not needed Locales.
>
> How does one go about trimming this file

First point - nobody have try todo this yet from Valentina community.

Information can be found on IBM site.

    http://www-306.ibm.com/software/globalization/icu/index.jsp

I think info is located in User Guide and/or FAQs at bottom of this page.

In short (by my memory) .dat file now contains 230 locales of the world.
It is possible split it to say 270 separate files. But the total size will
be bigger. So split have sense only if you you want to deploy one or few
locales.

During build of ICU they produce set of command line tools.
I assume one of this tools do this job.