Valentina question

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Thu Apr 27 22:37:42 CDT 2006

On 4/27/06 6:11 PM, "Joakim Schramm" <joakim at astrocalc.com> wrote:

> Ruslan,
>
> I have now installed COM ADK and had a first look, an emediate question that
> comes to my mind is, which files do I need to include in my distributed
> program?

Describe in the section Deployment of VCOM docs

> The document tell me to bundle the whole Vcomponents folder, that's
> almost 15mb of dll's or 3 times as much as whole my program!

Right

> Ok I can compress it down to about 3.5mb in my setup program - but it will
> still increase the download size of my program with 100%
>
> Size might not be of that big matter but it still raises the question if my
> program really need all this? Also, still I haven't installed the server
> component...
>
> I list the files here and maybe you could tell in which conditions each file
> is needed.
>
> \VCOM_2\VCOM.DLL
>
> \VComponents_Win_VC\icudt30.dll
> \VComponents_Win_VC\icuin30.dll
> \VComponents_Win_VC\icuio30.dll
> \VComponents_Win_VC\icuuc30.dll
> \VComponents_Win_VC\Kernel_Win32_Release.dll
> \VComponents_Win_VC\Vclient_Win32_Release_VC.dll
> \VComponents_Win_VC\VDK_VC.dll
> \VComponents_Win_VC\Vshared_Win32_Release_VC.dll

You can skip only
    VDK_VC      1.x engine
    Vclient     if you work LOCAL

> I understand this is dementioned to drive big database applications, well my
> program is not of that format... It basically make use of 2 databases, of
> which one is large (well maybe not in your messures) holding approx 220 000
> main records, with approx 500 000 "sub" records in second table as I have it
> structured now. The second one is a rather small one were users store
> records created from work they do, it's something like an "employee"
> database. The result of a lookup in the big db is used as a part of what is
> stored here.

> The question I have to put to myself now is if I really need all this, if I
> really need a client/server model, if it wouldn't make my program
> unnecessarily complicated? At least with c/s as I understand the server will
> install as a service on XP/NT4/Win2000? And what about Win98/ME? I have some
> users still running these as well.

You need decide parameters of your app. Not me.

I can also mention that we consider "Valentina Light". May be in few near
months we will get such option. It is expected to be about 3-5 MB