UPPER()/ORDER BY question

Matthew Bargar matthew at sixredmarbles.com
Thu Apr 20 22:40:53 CDT 2006

Hi all!  First question for the list, hope it's an easy one...
I am trying to do a select query where the results are returned sorted by a string field.  The catch I am having is that by default Valentina ORDER BY is sorting using case-sensitivity... i.e., first I get the A-Z results and then the a-z results.  I'd really like to get my results ordered without case-sensitivity.  I tried multiple permutations on this:

SELECT * from users ORDER BY UPPER(user_last_name)

in Valentina Studio but I kept getting either error 603 or 604 (field not found/syntax error).  Is there another approach I should be taking?
Thanks!
-Matt

Matthew Bargar
Senior Developer