for BUG 1133

Russ Tyndall fitzbew at nc.rr.com
Sat Apr 8 10:08:03 CDT 2006

On 4/8/06 9:23 AM, "Ruslan Zasukhin" <sunshine at public.kherson.ua> wrote:

>>> I believe we will find solution of this issue in 3-4 weeks
>>
>> Were you able to duplicate the problem with the example I sent you?  May I
>> ask: how long did Open() take when you first ran my example project on your
>> XP box?
>>
>> 3-4 weeks? That would be great.
>>
>> But now I have a tough decision to make.  Rework my 1.x project to try and
>> open better with threads, or such, or wait for 2.x fix and then simply
>> migrate entire project to 2.x ?  Even if your good work shaves 50% off of
>> initial opening time, my project would still take 20+ secs in 2.x based on
>> test project.  1.x opens the project that fast, so I would have gained
>> nothing.  Well, this is not your problem.  Do you have a sense of what
>> kind've of improvement might be possible?  I realize you cannot promise.
>
> In fact now I realize that I also have see this problem.
> But since I restart Windows rarely, and since usually I work on MAC,
> I did think that that I have see REINDEX of db on some reason.
>
> We will add timing into Warning.log first of all to see what exactly take
> time. Then decide...
>
> Time of open must be ZERO. :-)

Then I will not invest too much time in making my 1.x project open more
swiftly.  I believe it's wiser to bet on your fix, and then just migrate to
2.x, which I have wanted to do for many months now, anyway.

I think I also have overlooked this "slow open" problem because it only
happens the *first* time the db is opened in each PC session.  Subsequent
launches are fine.  Thus during development, it just wasn't apparent
[enough]. Sadly, a customer complained to me which caused me to take a more
careful look.

--
Russ Tyndall
Wake Forest, NC