Upgrading and encryption...

Brendan Murphy bmurf at comcast.net
Thu Apr 6 18:37:00 CDT 2006

> Hmm, bad to hear this because we spend a lots time on docs for
> 2.x. You could note it have grow in size about 3 times.

Because it has grown, it becomes more important to get the details
right. A good example are the EVxxxx enumerations. We need not to
just know what they are, but also their definitions. For
example...

EVDbMode
kDscDatBlbInd = 1
kDsc_DatBlbInd  = 2
kDsc_DatBlb_Ind = 3
kDsc_Dat_Blb_Ind = 4
kDscDatBlb_Ind = 5
kDscDat_Blb_Ind = 6
kDscDatInd_Blb = 7
kDsc_DatInd_Blb = 8

We don't need to know the numerical value (it only encourages
developers to skip the enum). We do need to know what each
constant means. Currently you have to hunt and peck through the
documentation to find out what they mean.

Like I mentioned before encryption needs its own section. I am
still struggling with making encryption work correctly in my
program.

You're right in the format hasn't changed much format wise since
1.x. Since it has grown quite a bit in size, therefore I think has
out grown the format you have chosen. It is unwieldily to
navigate. One thing you could do is publish a method signature
only document as a reference sheet. Something the developer keeps
on his desk.

Another approach is to use a topical format where the information
is arranged by topics instead of by class. I find this format more
user friendly for complex programs and Valentina certainly falls
within that level of complexity.

> PDF bookmarks? Yes on some reason I cannot find make them working
> in inDesign CS.

The only way I know how currently is to use Word and then process
the document through Adobe PDF maker (under Windows). I always end
up making corrections through Acrobat after it is done. You can
also go straight to Acrobat and insert them manually, but that is
no fun. But you already probably knew that.

> EULA is located in V4RB archive.

It is not obvious. You also need an external document that doesn't
force someone to open the archive just to get it so they can read
it and decide. You also need it on the web site as a separate
download. There is an entry on the web site, but no link to the
document.