[V4RB] 1.x Open() Delay in Win32

Russ Tyndall fitzbew at nc.rr.com
Thu Apr 6 18:55:56 CDT 2006

On 4/6/06 6:09 PM, "Ruslan Zasukhin" <sunshine at public.kherson.ua> wrote:

> On 4/7/06 12:58 AM, "Russ Tyndall" <fitzbew at nc.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> Vstudio seems to open my 1.x db, but it never appears in the interface.  So,
>> I take the unencrypted version of my full-sized db and convert it to 2.x
>> using the option in the Utilities menu.  Then, I can open the converted file
>> in Vstudio successfully --- but first time is very slow just like 1.x.
>> Subsequent openings within the same session are ok. So, I conclude migrating
>> to 2.x will not help me any.
>
> It will because 2.x we can try improve if you provide us something to
> reproduce.

I understand.  I only meant that, based on my observations with opening a
converted db in Studio, that converting my RB project to 2.x would not
provide relief!  Vstudio also opened the converted DB slowly the first time
during each PC session.

> I think in your case this can be RB project which generate db like your.
> So we can use it to see YOUR problem.

I will try and do that.  I can mimic the structure identically, and just
dummy up the data.  I believe you will be able to duplicate the issue.  If
not, then that opens up a whole different set of questions.

> 160 MB? This is more than enough. Usually 10-30 is ok

I don't know, I read or dreamed somewhere that 1/2 RAM was good rule of
thumb for Valentina cache.  I came up with that value probably 2+ years ago.

I tested up to about 1 gig, but didn't help this slow-opening issue.

I'll try and send you a project with a db so you can see this problem with
your own eyes, and perhaps find some solution.  I'll feel some sense of
relief knowing that you can duplicate it.

--
Russ Tyndall
Wake Forest, NC