[V4RB] 1.x Open() Delay in Win32

Russ Tyndall fitzbew at nc.rr.com
Wed Apr 5 13:00:02 CDT 2006

On 4/5/06 11:34 AM, "Ruslan Zasukhin" <sunshine at public.kherson.ua> wrote:

> On 4/5/06 6:26 PM, "Russ Tyndall" <fitzbew at nc.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> I have a large (165mb) Valentina 1.x database that was built in OS X.
>>
>> The db is then distributed to Win32 machines.
>>
>> The *first* time the database is opened on XP, the db.Open(folderitem)
>> function takes 10 seconds or so to return.
>>
>> If I close the app, and re-launch the app, the Open() function takes only a
>> split-second.  All subsequent re-launches are blazing fast.
>>
>> But once I reboot, the first db.Open() is slow again.  I get the same
>> behavior in WinMe and Win2000.
>
> Sounds like you become faster because Virtual Memory cache db file into RAM.

Well, the commit charge in Task Manager does not change after the call.
So...I'm skeptical.  But with humility.  Would you expect the Commit charge
to increase as said db is written into VM?  It must, I believe.

>> I assume the delay is V4RB populating the cache, which is cleared at reboot.
>> (The cache is persistent between application sessions?)
>
> Right, cache. But not Valentina cache. System cache

See above.

>> But here is the kicker: On 98SE, the db.Open() function is blazing fast
>> *every* time -- first launch and subsequent launches.  Same app, same
>> database.
>
> :) question to MS support

Dude, that's just mean!  :-)  (I know you're joking.)

--
Russ Tyndall
Wake Forest, NC