[V4RB] 1.x Open() Delay in Win32

Russ Tyndall fitzbew at nc.rr.com
Wed Apr 5 11:26:38 CDT 2006

I have a large (165mb) Valentina 1.x database that was built in OS X.

The db is then distributed to Win32 machines.

The *first* time the database is opened on XP, the db.Open(folderitem)
function takes 10 seconds or so to return.

If I close the app, and re-launch the app, the Open() function takes only a
split-second.  All subsequent re-launches are blazing fast.

But once I reboot, the first db.Open() is slow again.  I get the same
behavior in WinMe and Win2000.

I assume the delay is V4RB populating the cache, which is cleared at reboot.
(The cache is persistent between application sessions?)

But here is the kicker: On 98SE, the db.Open() function is blazing fast
*every* time -- first launch and subsequent launches.  Same app, same
database.

Adding to the mystery is that my XP machine is enormously faster than my
98Se machine.

Is something happening at the OS level on XP that is slowing down the Open()
call?  Anyone else observed this behavior and found a solution? It happens
for both Admin users and standard users.

I am using the latest (last) plug-in for V4RB 1.x.

--
Russ Tyndall
Wake Forest, NC