V4RB - DEFRAGMENT after deletion of records

RB User fitzbew at nc.rr.com
Sat Sep 24 19:48:52 CDT 2005

On 9/24/05 11:08 AM, "Ruslan Zasukhin" <sunshine at public.kherson.ua> wrote:

>> I can't diagnose the db after I get the -39 error.  I can't open the db.
>>
>> I can defrag (or compress) *any* database I want as long as I have NOT
>> deleted any records.  The db works fine afterwards.
>>
>> Or, I can delete records and NOT defrag and the DB works fine subsequently.
>>
>> It is the act of of deleting all the records in a table and then defragging
>> which corrupts(?) the database.  (I hesitate to say "corrupt" because I do
>> not precisely know what is happening. All I can say is that Mac OS throws a
>> -39 error when I try to open the DB.)
>
> What about next sequence?
>
>   - delete
>   - close
>   - open
>   - defragment
>   - diagnose
>   - close
>   - open ?

I tried closing the DB between the delete operation and the defragment, but
it didn't help.  After performing the defrag, the DB wouldn't open (threw
the usual -39 error).

Diagnose says everything is ok, unless I perform the delete and the defrag
on the same DB.  If I perform both operations on the same DB, the DB becomes
unusable after the defrag, and I can't run Diagnose.

>> Yes, I have created "fresh" database files from earlier XML files and they
>> work fine until I delete records AND do a defrag.
>>
>> I was hoping for some method/workaround in a 1.10 environment that would
>> enable me to reclaim empty segments (as if I was doing a defrag) even though
>> I had deleted records.
>
> So you use 1.10 ?
>
> Even not 1.11 ?

I have upgraded to 1.11 today, but the problem persists.

After experimenting today, I've discovered that the problem does not occur
if I only delete a few records from the table INSTEAD of all the records in
the table.  I can delete a few records, then defrag, and the DB stays
usable.

But if I delete ALL the records in the table, and then defrag, the DB
becomes unusable.

Unrelated side note: Is the V4RB 2.0.5 download for Mac OS X not working? I
think the installer is missing something.  I get an error when I try to run
it. I wanted to see if this current problem goes away with 2.0.5. (Ruslan, I
also promised you earlier this month I would check and see if the aggregate
function permissions issue went away with 2.0.5, but I haven't had time
yet!)

Russ