V4RB - DEFRAGMENT after deletion of records

RB User fitzbew at nc.rr.com
Fri Sep 23 20:41:52 CDT 2005

Using: RB2005r3, V4RB 1.10, OS X.3.9

Hi,

Whenever I DEFRAGMENT using db.SQLexecute after deleting the records in a
table, the database becomes "corrupt". I get a -39 End of File record when I
subsequently try to open the db.

I've tried: 1) using the "delete from table_name" sql syntax, 2) the
vCursor.deleteall() syntax, and 3) just dropping the table and re-creating
it using SQL.  In all cases, I cannot subsequently re-open the database IF I
do a defragment.

If I comment out the DEFRAGMENT command, the db works fine.

I can delete the records in code, and then open the db in VAPP 1.10 and
perform the defragment using the VAPP utilities, but the same thing happens.

I found an entry in the archives suggesting that reindexing after doing
deletion of records and BEFORE defragmenting will guard against this error,
but that's not working for me.

This is a database file with only 2 tables with 10 fields, about 500k
records...no challenge here for Valentina!

Has anyone encountered this issue before, and found a workaround?  Any
suggestions on what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Russ