changing database path in master.vdb

Chris Sheffield cmsheffield at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 10:48:57 CDT 2005

Well, I tried it and can't seem to make it work.  I keep getting
"error 3" when trying to connect to the database, which I'm assuming
means Vserver is not finding it.  Any ideas?  In master.vdb I've set
the path to my database as Z:\rndb\rn.vdb.  The Z drive is mapped to
a shared folder on another Windows machine.  I also tried using a UNC
path (\\chris2\SharedDocs\rndb\rn.vdb), but I got error 123 when I
tried that, which I have no idea what that means.

Is there any way to find out what path VServer is using to connect to
a database?  Is it possible there's some bug that's causing the file
path to not get set correctly?  If I could find that out, I could
hack it in master.vdb so the path would be correct.  This is only for
one customer right now, so as long as we could make it work, that'd
be fine.

On Oct 28, 2005, at 10:17 AM, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> On 10/28/05 7:12 PM, "Chris Sheffield" <cmsheffield at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm hoping someone can answer this question for me.  I'm using
>> VServer with Valentina 1.x and Revolution.  I have a customer who
>> would like to store their data on a separate Novell server, but they
>> would still use a Windows box to host the actual VServer executable.
>> I know you can use master.vdb to customize where to store database
>> files.
>>

>> What I'm wondering is if the paths entered into master.vdb
>> can be network paths.  Can I use a mapped network drive or even a UNC
>> path so that the database files can be stored on a separate "server"
>> machine?
>>

> Nobody have try this Chris. So I cannot say you yes or no.
> You should try.
>
> Vserver extract path from masterdb, and I think it simply pass it to
> WIN API function
>
>     file.open( path )
>
> So there are chances that Windows correctly open your network path.
>

> --
> Best regards,
>
> Ruslan Zasukhin
> VP Engineering and New Technology