Optimal Performance String Searching with Hashes Re: VChar vs VText

Ed Kleban Ed at Kleban.com
Wed Nov 30 10:17:05 CST 2005

On 11/30/05 9:52 AM, "Ruslan Zasukhin" <sunshine at public.kherson.ua> wrote:

> On 11/30/05 5:08 PM, "Ed Kleban" <Ed at Kleban.com> wrote:
>
>>> You can add this as request into Mantis
>>
>> Hmm, I'm not sure what you're suggesting I submit to Mantis.  I'm able to do
>> hashed string searches just fine right now by simply storing a parallel hash
>> field in a record that has string, text, or varchar field.  FindSingle et.
>> al. do a perfectly fine, fast job of doing lookups on them.
>
> But you do that in RB code.
>

> Valentina C++ code will be faster.
> And this will be feature of engine, so all benefit

Yes, that makes good sense.  Ok, I'll give it some thought on how to
recommend doing this as an indexed mechanism that can implemented more
efficient internally.  The problem is you always have to be able to handle
the hash collisions, and the manner of doing that is application dependent.
So I'm not sure there is necessarily anything to be gained here.  But I'll
give it some thought and flag this for my growing "Add a request for this
into Mantis" list.

--Ed