Performance metrics - some early conclusions

Ed Kleban Ed at Kleban.com
Wed Nov 30 09:33:25 CST 2005

On 11/30/05 9:13 AM, "Ruslan Zasukhin" <
> Do you use Vtable to add records?

Do you mean as opposed to adding them through a cursor?
Yes, always.  I use:

    TblSomeTable.AddRecord

after populating the memory buffer fields.

Why?

> Have you specify
>     Table.SetBlank( forAdd )
>                     ^^^^^^^
> This can give 20% speedup

Yes, I recently  went through and put in "forAdd" in all my SetBlank calls.
But since I typically do a SetBlank just once before entering a loop to set
memory buffer fields and do an AddRecord for hundreds of records, It doesn't
really have much affect.

I don't fully understand what  forAdd does however.   I presume that it
prevents the SetBlank method from writing the memory buffer values back to
the current table record, but:

1) Why should SetBlank do this at all?  Should the user just use
UpdateRecord if he wants that done?

2) If no memory fields have been modified does use of forAdd provide any
savings?

3) If no records have yet been allocated does use of forAdd provide any
savings?