Unable to disable indexing

Ed Kleban Ed at Kleban.com
Mon Nov 28 01:05:29 CST 2005

Interestingly, the problem noted below does not appear to occur when the
field is not declared as "fUnique" (and therefore indexed) in the field
declaration.  I.e after changing the term "fUnique" to "fNone" in the
following line, the problem noted below does not occur:

    fSpanObRef = new VLong( "FSpanObRef" , EVFlag.fUnique )

I'm not sure yet whether having enabled indexing dynamically as opposed to
at instantiation time, whether it is any more ammenable to being disabled.

Interestingly however, the speed improvement of disabling indexing is
surprisingly slight, shaving 7 seconds off of 61 seconds for building a
table of 100,533 in-RAM records.  I'm not sure whether that's bad because
the savings is so slight, or good because it means management of the indices
is so efficient -- but I think it's the later.

The fact that it takes on the order of a minute to do this however is a big
concern.  I'll spend some more time tomorrow figuring out where all the time
is being spent.  It may make more sense to just build this as a table with a
single indexed column rather than as a table having this as one column out
of five.

But the good news is I've finally got Valentina up and running, er uh, well
up and limping at least, and have some empirical results to start wading
around in.