Indexing or sorting ordered arrays.

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sun Nov 20 16:00:25 CST 2005

On 11/20/05 3:32 PM, "Ed Kleban" <Ed at Kleban.com> wrote:

Hi Ed,

> hat said, I ask such questions for several reasons, including:
>
> 1) I have an inherent curiosity not only about how to use Valentina, but how
> it works.

This is other question :-)

Just I have worried that you try go in too difficult way.

>     You're certainly under no obligation to share that information -- it may
> well even be confidential.  That's fine!  I don't want to press you
> regarding the recipe for the "special sauce" that distinguishes Valentina
> from its Rivals.  To the extent you are willing to answer such questions
> however, it helps me better understand the capabilities, limitations, and
> design tradeoffs in using the product as tool.  To the extent you prefer not
> to answer or simply don't know (and don't even care about knowing) I can
> write and run some tests if it's so important to me that I really need to
> know -- typically it's not.

Ok :-)

> 2) I'm not writing code from scratch.  Rather I'm tacking on Valentina to a
> very large existing code base which gives me a large number of options I
> normally wouldn't have if implementing a design from scratch.

>     As an example, when I want to populate a table, I may well have the data
> available to do so in two or three different forms -- some random, some
> already sorted, some hashed for faster access than Valentina will ever be
> able to match.  Better understanding of Valentina's capabilities and
> limitations helps me to make better choices for using or transferring these
> sources to V2.

right

> 3) As previously discussed, we share a common addiction and I simply can't
> help myself :-)
>

> ======
>
> Sounds like I'm probably at the point of diminishing returns at this point
> and am rapidly becoming more of a pest than a list contributor.  I'll
> endeavor to tighten the clamp on my curiosity and make less demands on your
> generous penchant for sharing information.  I certainly don't want to wear
> out my welcome with one of the best tutors on structural efficiency I've run
> into in a very long time.
>
> In that vein, I'll stop short of listing reasons 4), 5), and 6).

You are welcome. And questions are great.

Just I have learned few times for last 2-3 years that "theoretical thinking"
sometimes do not happens in life. Some "very cool" optimizations, as I did
think, in fact force system to be slower. When I have disable them system
have work faster.

Just not go into the same trap :-)