Indexing or sorting ordered arrays.

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sun Nov 20 10:16:48 CST 2005

On 11/20/05 9:55 AM, "Ed Kleban" <Ed at Kleban.com> wrote:

> On 11/20/05 1:39 AM, "Ruslan Zasukhin" <sunshine at public.kherson.ua> wrote:
>
>> On 11/20/05 9:31 AM, "Ed Kleban" <Ed at Kleban.com> wrote:
>>
>>> When you set the fIndexed EVFlag, then V2 builds an index, correct?
>>

>>> 5) I'm totally clueless because you're simply not indexing or sorting in any
>>> of these ways.
>>
>> Actually nature of DBMS indexing is sort of inserts.
>
> Doh!  Of course.  It's incremental to deal with a single record add at a
> time.  Makes perfect sense for adding individual records.  So then
> re-indexing an already or mostly sorted array would be very fast.  Yep, yep.

> But that also suggests that if I'm going to supply a very large array of
> randomly ordered elements and then ebabke the "Unique" or "Indexed" flag,

> that I might be better off presorting them first myself, since an insertion
> sort in that circumstance could take much longer... that is if I happened to
> have a plugin or RB-written sort routine that could compete with the speed
> of your C++ compiled insertion sort.  True?
>
> Doesn't much matter.  Most of the arrays I'm concerned with right now all
> happen to be pre-sorted.

Ed, Valentina take care self to do best things.

Valentina do very complex indexing. We have size of code related to
indexing, bigger than SqlLite itself is. :-)

Again I will repeat. IT is good idea at first make prototype using simple
logic. And ONLY if you will see some performance problems there is sense
start think on improvements. Most probably you will not see them at all.