IndexbyWords // Vstring.SplitToWords( text as string)

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed Nov 16 21:03:22 CST 2005

On 11/16/05 7:30 PM, "Ed Kleban" <Ed at Kleban.com> wrote:

> Great.  I see that this app works by using the method
>     Vstring.SplitToWords( text as string)
> Which does not appear to be documented in any of the manuals.
> Is this a supported method we can rely on and use?

Yes we have decide that it is useful for all.

> I also note in the field creation the following comment:
>
>   // To be able use function SplitToWords() the field must be indexed.
>   fld = tbl.CreateStringField( "fldString", 40, _
>       EVFlag.fIndexed + EVFlag.fIndexByWords )
>
> But I thought that fIndexed was meaningless when fIndexedByWords
> was used.  Does that mean that fIndexed is not needed here?
> Or is SplitToWords somehow special?

In Valentina 2.0 it is NOT enough say fIndexByWords !!!!!!!!!

This will set only modifier index flag (fUnique the same)
But you still can set ON/OFF fIndexed flag.

-------
Also Valentina 2 DO NOT index unindexed field automatically ON SEARCH
As Valentina 1 did.

Valentina 2 still mark field as indexed if you do SORTING

> Unfortunately it turns out that "words" as defined by SplitToString include
> "." and exclude "_".

I believe they follow natural language rules.

> The later is unfortunate for my application.  The
> former seems to be unfortunate for most every application I can think of
> that might want to otherwise use IndexedByWords.

right

> It's not good for prose,
> verse, or code since "foo" and "foo." and ".foo" would all parse out to be
> different search terms.  That is unless a search for "foo" would return
> entries that included all three of these (and other) combinations.  I'll
> have to go back and read the fine print on query for IndexedByWords fields.

Add feature request :-)