Child vs parent records

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Nov 15 11:02:25 CST 2005

On 11/15/05 10:38 AM, "Ed Kleban" <Ed at Kleban.com> wrote:

>> Only not complete yet:
>>
>> * you talk only about ObjectPtr always.
>>
>> * Valentina 2 have also link - FOREIGN KEY.
>>     it is similar to ObjectPtr by nature. It is a field.
>
> Yes, certainly.  And in a full discussion it should be mentioned as well.

> But of course it's the ObjectPtr aspect that offers the great performance
> and appeal to me and which I intend to use, so it was on the top of my mind
> in trying to understand this.

I see. Although note, that BinaryLinks also are very cool.

Actually we think now:
    who need ObjectPtr if exists BinaryLink ?!  :-)

>> * Valentina 2 also have new link -- BbinaryLink. This is not a field at all.
>>
>> Methods of Vlink class work for ALL link kinds. So it needs write text in
>> general form.
>
> Yes. I understand and agree.  First I had to understand what it did.  I
> could write something that would serve all cases now.

> I very much like the concept of the Vlink; making the links be an instantiated
> abstraction is very cool.

Actually Link abstraction play a lots of roles and benefits.

E.g. The same SQL do joins using Link abstraction. And so on.
New Link Function (VSQL.pdf) can do cool things also.

And new SQL syntax of   fldPtrOfT1->fldOfT2  also do interesting things.

> I think however that there may be a better way of presenting
> the description of Vlinks to the reader.

No doubts. Just I need catch time and write many new pages about this
feature.