[V4MD] search like "*"

Scott Runkel srunkel at hypix.com
Sun May 29 12:54:44 CDT 2005

Hi,

How does Valentina SQL (V4MD) treat the "*" character?

I'm using this SQL:

SELECT *, recid FROM pir WHERE (alltext like 'hyperlipid*' NO_CASE)

And it's finding lots of results even though I don't think any of them literally
have "hyperlipid*" in them. I think it's finding things like "hyperlipidemia".
It's not a problem, but I'd just like to know what's happening.

What I really want is a way to replace the user's "*" in such a way that I can
search for beginnings and endings of words. Like

gastro*
to search gastrointestinal, gastroenterologist, gastro-anything

or *emia
to search anemia, hyperlipidemia, or anything-emia.

I've tried \A at the beginning of my searches and it doesn't seem to help. What
am I missing?

"SELECT *, recid FROM pir WHERE (alltext like '\Ahyperlip' NO_CASE)"

returns no results at all.

-SR

Scott Runkel
Director of Technology