[V4MD] link types

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sun May 29 21:41:07 CDT 2005

On 5/29/05 9:04 PM, "Peter Salomon" <peter.salomon at gmx.net> wrote:

Hi Peter,

> yes - this is described also in the docs. I have understood
> theoretical part of linkTypes. What i have not understood is how to
> use the three different kinds of link.

> Class VLink offers a lot of tools to work with Links.

yes

> Can i use every call:
>
> getIsBetween object me, integer table1Ref, integer table2Ref  -- .
> table object me, integer index -- .
> findLinked object me, integer recID, object table1, object table2, *
> -- symbol recursionDirection = #kFromParentToChild -- .
> findExclusivelyLinked object me, integer recID, object table1,
> integer table2, * -- symbol recursionDirection = #kFromParentToChild
> -- .
> findAllLinked object me, object table1, object table2, * -- symbol
> recursionDirection = #kFromParentToChild -- .
> countLinked object me, integer recID, object table1, object table2, *
> -- symbol recursionDirection = #kFromParentToChild --  .
> linkRecords object me, integer recIDA, integer recIDB, * -- [more
> recID parameters] .
> unlinkRecords object me, integer recIDA, integer recIDB, * -- .
> deleteLinkedRecords object me -- .
> deleteAllLinkedRecords object me -- .
>
> on each of the three link types?

YES of course. This is one of advantage of Vlink class.

> e.g.:
> i´m working with ObjectPtr Type, i know this from Valentina 1.x. Val
> 2.x creates automaticly a link.

right

> I wanted to set the values of objectPtr field "manually" by setting
> the value of TableB´s RecID into ObjectPointer field of TableA using
> a cursor.

Yes this is the old way that we have use in the 1.x.
In fact this is the most comfortable and natural way to work with
ObjectPtr - link:

    you work with it as with FIELD
    and you assign values to it.

> In my debugwindow i can see that all valentinaRefernces are built
> correct, all values are found, but when i call cursor.updaterecord()
> after setting the ptr Value i get a crash on MacOS.

In next letter you have report that this is MAC OS bugs.
Although I wonder, we have 3 examples in the API folder for each link.

Does they work

> Now i was wondering, if the link prevents me to uptate a record and
> if i´m forced to use linkRecords() also with a objectPtr field?

No, you are NOT forced