One Pointer Field Fits All

Chuck Pelto cbpelto at pcisys.net
Sun May 29 07:22:14 CDT 2005

Another question.

I have a table I refer to as Notes. I would like that table to be
used to hold ALL notes in a given RB project. This, no matter, what
other table those notes might belong to.

Is there a technique to have one field act as the differentiator as
to which table the notes will appear in? Something along the lines of
a field in Notes to identify the other table a given note belongs to
and the pointer field to identify the record in that other table the
note is associated with?

This was easily accomplished in FileMaker. Just set up the link in
the table that the note was supposed to be related too in Notes. How
can that be done in V4RB? I'd like to avoid having to put a separate
pointer field in Notes for every other table that would require an
ability to have Notes associated with it.

Regards,

Chuck