[V4REV] symbolic constants // Based on Assoc Array

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon May 16 12:16:58 CDT 2005

On 5/13/05 12:48 PM, "Robert Brenstein" <rjb at robelko.com> wrote:

>> On 5/13/05 2:52 AM, "Robert Brenstein" <rjb at robelko.com> wrote:
>>
>>>  c) instead of creating a hundred of variables, it may be better to
>>>  create a single array variable, so there is only a single name to
>>>  declare as global. Surely more user-friendly and more
>>>  self-documenting. And we can get a list of all declared values in a
>>>  single call, using the keys() function.
>>
>> Interesting!
>> please show me in transcript itself how this can looks
>
> Valentina has associative arrays:
>
> put 3 into myArray["item1Name"]
> add 1 to  myArray["item1Name"]
>
> to see what elements an array has defined
>
> answer the keys of myArray
>
> We can also use split and combine to convert between normal vars and arrays.

Okay Robert.
Then what about next solution:

1) Valentina define several global assoc array, to simulate enums of other
languages. Names will be again similar:

    EVDebugLevel
    EVDbMode
    EVFlags

And Now you can write

    SqlSelect(
        query, EVCursorLocation["kServerSide"], EVAccess["kReadWrite"] )

Only problem, I think this way will have slower access to constant values.