VXCMD 1.x and Revolution 2.1

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Sun May 8 14:48:34 CDT 2005

On May 8, 2005, at 12:26 PM, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> I have start develop Valentina for Revolution 2.0
> But still cannot even make it work.
>
> So I have decide try to run latest VXCMD.
> Revolution 2.1 already contains inside VXCMD_Macho.
> So I have just open our example,
> Correct external to point that VXCMD_Macho.
> Run and it not works.
>
> What I do not correctly ?
>
> As I understand many VXCMD developers use Revolution 2.1.
>
> Please advice, I do not see what is going on and where is problem.

Ruslan,

Revolution has two ways of using Valentina.  The VXCMD_Macho that you
see included with Revolution is for use with revDB (db abstraction
layer in Revolution).  Looking at the package contents it appears
that they use the C or C++ API rather than the VXCMD in order to work
with revDB.  This means you can't use the Valentina VXCMD call.  To
test the using the VXMD just put the VXCMD in your Revolution folder
and set the externals property of your stack:

set the externals of stack "MyStack" to "VXCMD_Macho_MC"

Quit Revolution and restart so the externals are properly loaded
(there are others ways to do this, this is the simplest).

Now if you type:

put the externalPackages of stack "MyStack"

in the message box you should see "Valentina XCMD" or something like
that.  You can now use the Valentina VXCMD calls in your stack with
the latest version.

> -------------
> 3) Tuviah,
>
> One more question. I do not see how external do get unicode strings.
> I see that comes Mcstring, it is of char*.
> And I assume this is not UTF8
>
> So how Revolution talk to externals with unicode ?

As Tuviah mentioned, you will have to talk to the support guys at
Revolution about this.  The revDB database layer does support unicode
but as for externals I'm not sure.  I haven't had to use Unicode in
programming externals.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia