[FAQ/DOC] V4RB2 questions

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sat May 7 09:53:05 CDT 2005

On 5/7/05 7:57 AM, "Gary Edge" <valentina at panamind.com> wrote:

> I've decided to move to V4RB 2 and I'm looking through the docs and
> have some initial questions. Is the 'classes way' or the 'API way'
> preferred to create and manage databases, table and binary links in RB
> project? I've been using classes but the examples and tutorial use the
> API way.
>
> Also, when creating several records linked using a binary link, must I
> search for the recid of each corresponding record in the linked table
> to create the binary link?

Hi Gary,

I want to say one point which it seems I never express yet:

* Class way -- this is the same API way just wrapped into Classes.

* So Class way is NOT alternative to API way.
    It is just its modification.

* Class way should be preferred for such applications which have stable and
fixed data structure.

* pure API way should be used for general-DBMS kind applications,
    for example viSQL or example XML Load/Dump.

* Class way if you looks with attention, just give you pointer to each table
and each field. So you do not need ask each time in your code

        db.Table( "T1" )

        tbl.Field( "Name" )

Thanks to having pointers you may get faster speed.

If talk about alternatives then the main choice you should do is
    SQL WAY or API Way.

SQL Way MUST MUST MUST be used if you going use Valentina Server,
Because API way will not effective on network traffic.