VarChar fields

Barney barney at custombased.com
Thu May 5 10:17:53 CDT 2005

Hello,

I know this is pretty elementary stuff but I never could get it figured out.

Does a VarChar field have a maximum length ?

I'm sure I've had cases where I've had data truncated in a VarChar.

If it does have a maximum length, is this set by the page size ?

ie If page size is set to 504, will it truncate any string in excess of this
or does it truncate any string in excess of 1024

If the page size was 1024 will it then truncate string roughly twice the
size.

Is a VarChar field more efficient  than a string because it only uses as
much disk space as need be, instead of allocating exactly that which is
stated by person.

A TEXT field seems like a good option wanting to supply a field for taking
notes which might have 1 line in it or hundreds of lines in it. But does a
TEXT field use much more disk space than a string or VarChar or only as much
as it needs to store the string.

Thank you.

Barney