CodeWarrior

Mark Martin mark at marmalademedia.com.au
Wed May 4 23:14:51 CDT 2005

Hi,

I want to raise a couple of CodeWarrior related issue which I think are
relevant to this list given that a lot of people use CodeWarrior for
cross-platform development of xtras.

So, Metrowerks has announced that they are no longer supporting Windows as a
development target. From version 10, which is due to be released in the 3rd
quarter of this year (if we're lucky), CodeWarrior will be Mac only. RIP
cross-platform plugin development with CodeWarrior .

They have sold their x86 tools to a 'third party' - apparently Nokia.
Understandably, there has been quite a bit of traffic about this on
CodeWarrior newsgroups. See -

A thread on the comp.sys.mac.programmer.codewarrior newsgroup:

http://groups.google.com.au/groups?hl=en&lr=&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozill
a:en-US:official&threadm=lfGdnUv4NvteFfPfRVn-2A%40comcast.com&prev=/groups%3
Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26g
roup%3Dcomp.sys.mac.programmer.codewarrior

And Metrowerks' discontinued products page:
http://www.metrowerks.com/Discontinued/default.htm

The current CodeWarrior version 9.4 is not compatible with MacOS 10.4,
although Metrowerks have made a 'commitment' to an update for Tiger real
soon. I'm still using 8.3 for xtra development - it's not officially
supported on MacOS 10.3 although it's working fine for me. But it seems 8.3
does not work on Tiger (probably not surprising). So I intended to upgrade
to version 9 but even that doesn't seem to be possible any more. I can't
find the cross-platform Development Studio package on the Metrowerks store
site and even the Mac-only version is marked 'temporarily unavailable'...

http://store.metrowerks.com/dr/v2/Ec_Main.entry24?SP=10023&PN=1&V1=576906&xi
d=43305&search_id=18237031&doc_id=20&DSP=&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=0

I fear that this may be related to the terms of the sale of the x86 tools -
if you don't own Codewarrior 9 already then you're out of luck. The
Discontinued products page (link above) says "This sale does not affect the
right to use CodeWarrior or create x86 code by customers currently licensed
to use CodeWarrior x86 compilers."

All of this makes the future viability of Metrowerks tools for xtra
development look very dodgy - on any platform. The end of an era?

So do us CodeWarrior users need to start looking for other IDEs for xtra
development? And a different one for each platform? Xcode is out as you
can't produce CFM plugins with it (I'd be happy to be told otherwise). So
what then?

You are currently subscribed to: mmxdk-l as: sunshine at public.kherson.ua

This email transaction, and any documents, files, or previous email message attached to it, are confidential and proprietary information of Macromedia, Inc.