[Valentina TIP] //Re: RB and database capabilities

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sun Mar 27 10:48:20 CST 2005

> From: Michael Bierly <mwbierly at comcast.net>
> Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 20:54:00 -0500
>
> On 3/26/2005 8:29 PM, "Mathieu Langlois" <realsoftlists at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I will seriously look into Valentina, thank you all for the advise.
>> When you guys say that it uses RB DB api, you mean it uses objects
>> like recordset, and not proprietary objects?
>
> That's correct. It's one of the new features in Valentina 2. However, you
> the developer now have the choice of using the RB way to access the database
> OR you can use the Valentina "way". The advantage to using the native
> Valentina methods is that it is the fastest of the two ways.

Hi Guys,

Valentina 2.0 is really fantastic and unique by its features.
It will require many pages just to list all its new features and its new
cool features which you will not find in any other DBMS.

I want underline that Valentina is result of own theoretical developments in
database area. We are NOT just another db engine.

I think we will send to this list TIP-letters which will inform about
different features of Valentina 2.0

So, about CHOICE of WAY with Valentina 2.0.

* CHOOSE Database Model
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

- Valentina 2.0 supports pure RELATIONAL model with practically full SQL92.
- Also Valentina 2.0 and V4RB in particular introduce low level API, which
allow you work using Navigational model.
- Also you can use features of Object-Relational model

    You can MIX all this in your app.

* CHOOSE way of coding
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

1) You can use RBDB API.
    this way probably have own advantages. E.g. Binding to controls.
    BTW, we want yet integrate this way with others.

2) NEW low level API of V4RB 2.0

    using this you can resolve practically any task without SQL.
    This way, can be at least 4-5 times faster of SQL way.
    Example:

     tblPerson = db.CreateTable( "Person" )
     fldName = tblPerson.CreateVarCharField( "Name", 100, EVFlag.fIndexed )

     fldName.FindStartWith( "Pet" )
     fldName.FindLike( "Pet%" )
     fldName.FindContains( "Pet%" )

3) variation of API way that use Classes.
    Cool way, which allow you hide anything behind classes.

4)  Pure SQL way.
    In this way you do all mainly via SQL.

    db.SqlExecute( "CREATE TABLE ..." )
    db.SqlESelect( "SELECT ... WHERE fld LIKE ... " )

To Be continued:
    RAM-databases, RAM-tables, Unicode, XML,
    Valentina SQL, Extensions of SQL92, operator ->
    Links: FOREIGN KEY, ObjectPtr, Binary Links.
    New Link functions.
    and more...