error 10093 on Windows

Chris Sheffield cmsheffield at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 09:57:13 CST 2005

Hi everyone,

Has anyone ever gotten error 10093 on Windows clients running VServer
on a Windows server?  The error's meaning is as follows:

"Question/Problem: Successful WSAStartup not yet performed.

Answer/Solution: Either your application hasn't called WSAStartup, or
WSAStartup failed. There is another possibility: you are accessing a
socket which the current active task does not own (that is, you're
trying to share a socket between tasks).

Chances are the network subsystem is misconfigured or inactive."

Can anyone tell me what this means and how I can fix it?  Usually a
restart of the server fixes the problem temporarily, but my customers
can't always be required to restart their servers.  I have been
running into this error lately in my testing, and I've had a couple
customers who have reported it.  Could this happen if a database
connection is not getting opened/closed correctly?  I'm at a loss.

Thanks,
Chris Sheffield
Read Naturally