vCursor in Director: Arggghhh ;-)

Thomas Biedorf thomas at startmovie.net
Wed Mar 2 18:05:30 CST 2005

Hi all,
I am using Valentina the first time and some questions appeared:

1) I can't find an explanation of kServer and kReadWrite used in the
Example "Write_Read_search.dir" and in conjunction with vCursor and
new. What is it used for and which integers do what in specific? I
didn't find anything about it in the PDFs and Lingo Sources.

2) I want to use vCursor to do an "INSERT INTO" and all I get is an
vCursor error 602. Maybe I am missing something?

I am  aware that I don't understand the concept of vCursor right now in
deep! It would be great if someone is pointing me in the right
direction. I really don't want to use AddField(), I only want to work
with SQL-Statements!

Here is a part of my Script:

--- snip

on DBsql(mDebug, mDBName, mPath, mSQL)

   ValentinaInit ( 4194304, "", "" ) -- no serial right now
   ValentinaDebugLevel ( mDebug )

   mVDB = new(xtra "VDataBase")
   OpenDatabase(mVDB, mPath & mDBName)

   mCurs = new( xtra "VCursor", GetRef(mVDB), mSQL, 2, 3) --- 2 and 3
are the mentioned kServer and kReadWrite from the
"Write_Read_search.dir" Example
   --- Do I have to do something after this new()?
   --- I think "yes", but I don't know what... ;-)
   --- I thought an INSERT INTO will lead to an empty cursor
   --- and I don't have to do anything here?!
   CloseDatabase(mVDB)
   Flush (mVDB)
   ValentinaShutDown
end

--- end snip

I am calling DBsql with

DBSql (2, "VDBname.vdb", "path/to/VBD/",  "INSERT INTO tablename
(fieldname) VALUES ( " &QUOTE& "myvalue" &QUOTE & ")" )

fieldname is a varchar 255.

All I get then is:

* V4MD *: new VCursor...error 602

Thanks in advance for any hint!