Flush/Delete question

Florian Bogeschdorfer fb at memedia.de
Thu Jun 30 15:21:55 CDT 2005

V4MD 1.1, Server/Client

Hi Ruslan!

This is basically a security question for me.
If I change a record to a set of "x", flush the DB and then delete the
record, the record will be deleted but physically it will remain in the Db
file so that I could search for it with a text editor.
That is why I overwrote all fields with "xxxxx..." before:

For i=1 to numberOfRecordsToDelete
  overwriteRecord("x")
  flush()
  deleteRecord()
next

If I do this with thousands of records, Valentina will crash finally. And it
takes very long...

Now I wonder what would happen if I do no flush in between?
That is:

For i=1 to numberOfRecordsToDelete
  overwriteRecord("x")
  deleteRecord()
next
flush

Will it

a) work as expected, that is records are first "x"ed out and then deleted
(only "x" remains in the DB file) or

b) not overwrite the record at all since it has been deleted (records stay
readable in DB file)

TIA

Florian