RB WIN Valentina - date/datetime/binary/picture from RB

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Jun 21 02:09:45 CDT 2005

On 6/21/05 1:58 AM, "Damon Pillinger" <daisychain at iinet.net.au> wrote:

> 2.
> When you open a database from the RB window
> i.e. menu File/ Add Data Source/ New Valentina You create a new table
> i.e. MyData
> Then create a field called 'f4' of type 'datetime'
> It saves but when you go back in it displays as type 'Unknown'
>
> 3.
> When you open a database from the RB window
> i.e. menu File/ Add Data Source/ New Valentina You create a new table
> i.e. MyData
> Then create a field called 'f5' of type 'binary'
> And try to save it, you an error 'Unexpected token: binary'
>
> 4.
> When you open a database from the RB window
> i.e. menu File/ Add Data Source/ New Valentina You create a new table
> i.e. MyData
> Then create a field called 'f6' of type 'picture'
> And try to save it, you an error 'expecting "(", found ")"'

Picture Sergey have fix today. Problem was that Valentina SQL expect that
you specify segment size

    create table T (fld picture(1024) )

REALbasic do not give you ability specify this parameter, as weel as length
for string fields. IMHO this is stupid.

So Sergey have improve our parser to allow

    create table T (fld picture )

And segment will be 512 always.

The same for TEXT, BLOB, and VarChar fields.
In RBDB way you cannot specify length of this fields.

This is why I again and again will say:
    * RBDB API we have made just to have it.
    * IMHO RBDB API is very weak comparing to Valentina features.

And I do not recommend to use it, if only you have strong reasons.

---------
But we doubt...REALBasic do not have picture type?
So I afraid RB DB API do not have way to set picture into field.

SQL Lite also did not have picture field. They just send it as binary data.

Although may be RBDB really support picture type..